Active Learning
Active Learning
What is Active Learning?
Active learning is when students are engaged in their own learning. This type of learning requires students to do meaningful learning activities and think about what they are doing. Using active learning in your classroom can engage, empower, and put students at the center of learning.
| Image Source |
Benefits of Active Learning
Active learning should be a continued practice for all educators to use in their own teaching. Cornell University's Center for Teaching Innovation lists many benefits to use active learning in your own classrooms:
- Active learning gives students multiple ways to access the material through writing, talking, or problem solving
- Student motivation is increased when they are able to create personal connections with the material
- Students are able to receive immediate feedback
- Teachers can learn more about their students through observations and discussions
- When teachers know how their students learn best, they can target their teaching in future lessons
Blog Review
This week I looked at a blog from a classroom that used active learning to explain what their code of conduct looks like throughout the school. The teacher from the blog Cougar Code learned that most of her students are visual learners and created and activity where students explored their code of conduct (Be Safe, Be Respectful, and Be Responsible) and how they can visually represent it throughout the school. The teacher first used active learning during the lesson in the introduction. Students took turns going to the SmartBoard to list specific examples of ways they can be safe, respectful, and responsible. Next, students use an iPad app, PicCollage, to take pictures in the classroom and around the school demonstrating what the code of conduct looks like.Another teacher used active learning in her class for this same activity. However, instead of students taking pictures of themselves they drew pictures and wrote examples of being safe, respectful, and responsible in different areas of the school. The class then used Educreations to record themselves while sharing their drawings.
![]() |
| Author's Padlet |
Personal Active Learning
After reading more about active learning I thought about my own classroom and how I incorporate active learning in my teaching. The majority of my day I am working with students in small groups and I never want to spend a lot of time talking at them. I want to make sure I have a variety of activities that meet multiple learning styles to keep students engaged throughout the lesson. I include opportunities for think and shares, whole class discussions, and technology resources like Zearn and Nearpod. From the blog review and reading about ways to incorporate active learning in the classroom I know there are still more opportunities to for students to engage in active learning.

Having a variety of activities not only helps make your lesson multimodal but also allows students to connect to concepts in ways that are personal to them. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHi Abigail,
ReplyDeleteI loved the post Cougar Code. At my school we use ROAR (Respectful, On Task, Act Safe, Responsible). We have PBIS Cool Tool day once a month, and this would be a great addition to our current tools. I love that the students are involved in the process. This also allows them to become aware of how to act in school. This is especially important because we have a huge junior height and the incoming students are very overwhelmed by all of the changes they encounter. I am a huge fan of Peardeck and it is super easy to use and incorporate into lessons. You could even include the strategies (think and shares, whole class discussions) that you are already using into the Peardeck responses.
Abigail,
ReplyDeleteI really liked reading your post on the Cougar Code. I also liked how you listed the benefits of active learning. My schools have something similar its the 3 R's and the Quantum Keys as part of out PBIS school wide behavior expectations. The activity you reviewed is a great way to allow them to connect with the expectations and learn what is ok and not ok. After reading your post it sparked my brain and made me think I think this activity and could be easily combined with the QR code activity I looked this week. It would be a great addition in helping teach our expectations. Student would draw posters digitally, then add QR codes talking about that expectation. These then could be displayed around the school as posters for students to interact with. Thanks for sharing!