Frameworks in Technology
Frameworks in Technology
TPACK is an integration framework that identifies the knowledge needed to effectively teach using technology. In the TPACK framework there are three areas educators need to combine in order to successfully incorporate edtech into their classrooms- technology, pedagogy, and content. The point of TPACK is to "understand how to use technology to teach concepts in a way that enhances student learning experiences" (PowerSchool).
Technological Knowledge: How technology is used
Pedagogical Knowledge: How they teach
Content Knowledge: What the teacher knows
An Introduction to the TPACK Model
While the goal is to fall in the overlap of the three knowledge areas, often teachers (myself included) find themselves between two knowledge areas (Technology/Pedagogy, Content/Pedagogy). Where you place yourself may change based on the subject area you teach.
TPACK in the Classroom
As a special education teacher I am both pushing into a classroom and pulling small groups of students into a separate classroom. Since I am at a district that has one-to-one devices for students teachers use Clever and applications within Google (gmail, Google Classroom, Docs, Jamboard). When I am co-teaching we will use Slides throughout lessons for students to follow along and interact with. During guided reading groups we will implement a Technology station where students are on their Chromebooks using different educational websites (Lexia, ABCya, Epic, IXL) or completing an assignment that was posted in their Google Classroom.
In my small group settings I find that I use technology more during math lessons. Zearn is a website that follows the Eureka Math curriculum and allows me to track student progress and adjust the skills they learn based on their needs. Prodigy is another math resource I use because students view it as a game but I am able to set their skills to their level so they can continue to practice content that was taught during small groups.
Self-Reflection using TPACK
After learning more about the TPACK framework I consider myself someone who uses more Pedagogical Content Knowledge (PCK). This knowledge includes approaches for addressing different learning styles and scaffolding content for a deeper understanding (TPACK Model). In my own teaching I find that I am the weakest when using technology. I find that I will collaborate with my co-teachers to find more ways to use technology within the whole group setting. However, the technology that I use in the pull out setting is usually as a way for students to work independently while I am progress monitoring or doing individual assessments. My hope is that I can continue to find ways to implement technology within my content teaching, especially when working in the pull out setting with a small group of students.
References:
CommonSenseEducators. (2016, July 12). What is The tpack model? YouTube. Retrieved September 8, 2022, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMQiHJsePOM
McGraw Hill Canada | what is tpack theory and how can ... - mheducation.ca. (n.d.). Retrieved September 9, 2022, from https://www.mheducation.ca/blog/what-is-tpack-theory-and-how-can-it-be-used-in-the-classroom/
The TPACK Framework Explained. Powerschool.com. (2022, April 20). Retrieved September 8, 2022, from https://www.powerschool.com/blog/the-tpack-framework-explained-with-classroom-examples/

Thanks for the honest reflection about how you don't use much technology to enhance but more so use it to supplement. Not every lesson or position, for that matter, warrants the use of technology. Getting in the habit of reflection using a framework like TPACK can help us to take those lessons that *do* warrant technology and make them even stronger.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAbigail, I enjoyed reading your post this week on how you implement TPACK in your classroom. I have never worked with special ed students before but can imagine that enforcing some forms of technology in the classroom can be quite beneficial for their academic growth. How are the students with one-to-one devices? Do you ever find the devices to be challenging for your students? Do most students benefit from their devices versus learning a new skillset without them? I also believe that small-group settings are a great way to ensure students are getting the attention they need during a lesson--with or without technology. --Teresa
ReplyDelete