Instructional Designer Reflection
Over the past three weeks I have been working on a proposal as a Learning Specialist/Instructional Designer. During this time I have been brainstorming, assessing the needs, and researching how I can use technology in order to build my classroom library while working in a small group, resource setting.
![]() |
| Image Source |
The Process
| Image Source |
The Challenges
During this time I have not run into many challenges. I am fortunate to have the support of my instructional coach, who has also given me ideas of how to use the tool for instruction. One of the biggest challenges I have is remembering to update the library based on what we are working on in class. I have been trying to find a consistent time where I can assign books to students based on their needs and interests. At the time being, I am using Epic during independent reading where students are able to choose what books they want to read.
The Potential
As I have been doing more research and learning different ways I can use Epic in my classroom, I still see the potential it has to allow my students to have a virtual classroom library. As I have been implementing more independent reading time on Epic, students are excited when they are able to find new books. Something that I appreciate about the tool is the amount of books they have that are "Read to Me" books. The students in my small group are reading below their grade level so having the capability to assign books that will read to students has been great. This still encourages them to read without being discouraged because the text is too difficult.
I have loved learning about the new ways I can use Epic for direct instruction. I am able to search for books based on students' reading level and assign them to the group. This way I can have all students reading the same text during a guided reading lesson as well as them have access to the book outside of class.
The Positives
One of the biggest positives to this experience is being able to take the time to research a technology that can make a change in my classroom. I have been wanting to find a way to increase my classroom library with more books at my students' reading levels, but also have them enjoy reading. Before I began my research, I only used Epic as something for students to do while I progress monitor one-on-one or as a resource during reading groups. As I have done more research I am able to find more ways that I can use technology to encourage students to read and increase their reading fluency.
Overall, I have enjoyed taking the time to find ways to utilize technology in the school, specifically my classroom. While I have only spent a little bit of time researching technology for a small space, I think it would be an interesting experience to find new technology tools that will benefit all students and classes.

Comments
Post a Comment