Social Media and Me

About Me

Hi everyone! My name is Abby Raser and I am currently in my last class at Dominican University in order to complete my Masters of Education. I recently received my English Second Language endorsement and continued courses to earn my masters with an emphasis in technology. 


I graduate from Providence College in 2018 and am in my fifth year teaching, all of which have been with special education. I am in my fourth year at ACERO-Marquez, a charter school in Brighton Park. This year I am working with students both through inclusion using a co-teaching model and pull-out in a resource room. I work with students in kindergarten, second, third, and fourth grades. 


Outside of the classroom I teach classes at Dance Gallery Chicago. I grew up on the southside of Chicago and am the youngest of three. In my free time I love reading, traveling, and trying new restaurants downtown.


Social Media

I mainly use social media as a way to stay in touch with family and friends who live out of state. I like having and using social media, but I consider myself to be more of an observer. The first social media I had was Facebook and shortly after I created my Instagram account. I personally am not too active on these accounts, I use them to follow my friends and family and groups, such as teacher groups or food accounts. While I am not actively posting on these accounts all the time, I enjoy having them and will check them daily. I think they are great ways to stay in touch/have a glimpse into the live of family and friends that I am not always able to see.

Author's Image



Author's Image

Another form of social media that I use is Twitter. The first account I had was actually made for me by a college roommate. I had never been interested in this platform and did not see the need to have another social media account. This is used to follow friends from high school and college. I recently created a second account for a previous course (EDU-776) that I use professionally. On this account, I follow fellow educators and education resources. I use my professional account more than my personal one, especially to find resources for my classroom or to read about the latest trends in education.


Author's Image


Author's Image




Comments

  1. Hi Abby! I also teach special education. How are you liking doing both the co-taught and pull out for special education minutes? I teach resource level classes at the middle school level and I do not have a co-teacher so I wonder if that is challenging or if it works out well for you. I found it interesting that you said you are an observer on Facebook. That is a good way to put it when there are people who check it but do not post. That is me most days, but I do put pictures of my two kids on there at least once a month. Very cool that you teach dance! I have heard a lot about having a professional Twitter for teaching. It seems more and more teachers are using it for professional use than when I started teaching. I use my Instagram to follow teachers and teacher inspired things. I am curious to look into getting a professional Twitter and if I would use it to be an observer or if I would tweet on there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Abby! Thanks so sharing! I teach 7th grade ELA - my school also has a co-teaching model as well as pull out resource classes. I also do a lot of following on social media - I post some but not a ton! I do like to read through other's posts on facebook or instagram to keep up with the lives of my family and friends. I am originally from the Quad Cities by Iowa, so it's nice to see what my nieces and nephews are up to when I am not able to see them all the time. It's really cool that you teach dance also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Abby. Congrats on this being your last class! It'll be a fun one to end with. :) Like you, I find that right now I am more of an observer of social media. I post, but sparingly on my personal accounts. Twitter is where I am most active- for now. I have my fingers crossed that it won't change dramatically with the new owner. I'm looking forward to learning with you this spring.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment