Social Media and PLNs

Professional Leaning Network: Pinterest

A Professional Learning Network (PLN) can support the growth of educators in different ways: social, affective, cognitive, and identify. After listening to the videos from Thinglink, I noticed that I use my PLNs socially and cognitively. Socially, I can use social media to connect and learn with other educators across the country. In a cognitive way, I am able to find new resources, tools, and teaching strategies that I can apply to my own teaching. 

Pinterest is a platform that I have been using for as long as I can remember. I will often use Pinterest to find dinner or dessert ideas. I love how many options I can find with a simple search. When I was student teaching, I used Pinterest to find ideas about how to set up a classroom, writing craftivities, and bulletin board ideas. Now, after teaching for a few years, I am still using Pinterest to find ideas for crafts and projects, but I also find strategies for teaching phonics, comprehension, math skills, and progress monitoring.

Pinterest Boards

In my Education board, I organized my pins into four categories: SEL, Reading/Writing, Math, and Organization. I am able to find different ways to engage my students based on the focus of the lesson. One interactive activity I found was the Word Building Folder. In my small reading group I have three students with Individualized Education Plans (IEPs). This folder is a great way to help students identify the different phonics skills (vowel teams, digraphs, r-controlled vowels) that we have been practicing and then build words. 

Author's Image


Author's Image


As a special education teacher, I am always looking for new ways to organize IEP goals and progress monitoring. I created a Progress Monitoring board to find trackers that I can use- both digitally or as a physical copy. I will also find different task cards or tools that can be used to progress monitor. Pinterest is a great platform and I love that I can use it both personally and professionally.

Author's Image

Comments

  1. With all of the social media platforms out there Pinterest got a bit lost in the shuffle for me. Thanks for sharing how you've used it personally and for sharing some screenshots of how you use it professionally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Abigail,
    I can definitely relate to continuously finding ways to organize IEP goals and data tracking. I already checked out your Progress Monitoring board and am planning on using some of your pins-thank you! Right now, I take data and least 1x per week on each student and their goals. Students are doing their goal work more often than that, but I find that my classroom aides are sometimes hesitant to take data. I am looking forward to using some of the tools you shared, especially with quarter 3 progress reports around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, thank you for sharing. I have never considered Pinterest as an option for finding resources for my classroom. The reason I did not consider it is that I had the misconception that it only had images and no links to actual documents or resources that I could print ,download and modify. I was wrong. I looked at progress monitoring link and noticed that you can click on the image of interest and then there is usually another link you can click on to find printable resources.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment