Acceptable Use Policy
Acceptable Use Policies (AUPs) are agreements between the student and the district in order to help keep students safe online. This Kajeet article states that there are two main components to an AUP: protecting students from harmful content on the Internet and providing students with access to digital media that supports engaged learning. After reading the article, I learned that there are different elements that are included in an AUP. The three elements that stood out to me were (1) Acceptable Uses, (2) Unacceptable Uses, and (3) Violations/Sanctions. These elements will outline what is acceptable/unacceptable for students to use on devices and the consequences should they not follow the AUP.
![]() |
| Image Source |
My school is 1:1 for student devices, each student has their own Chromebook. Because of this, I think it is important students know what is acceptable/unacceptable when they are using a school device. The AUP for my school district can be found in the Student Handbook. The AUP for Acero is written for what students can do with their school technology. When reviewing Acero's AUP I noticed that it included two of the three elements I mentioned above. It had a long section on unacceptable uses as well as the violations, or discipline consequences, should students engage in the prohibited uses. The policy included how Acero has the right to access to any message sent in the system and will monitor students' use of their devices. However, I did not read a section that explains what students are able to do with their devices. I
What Am I Signing?
The AUP was written for students to know what is acceptable, but I had difficulty understanding what I was reading. With this in mind, how can we expect our students to know what they are acknowledging they can do on their school devices by signing it? I think that a way for students to better understand AUPs is by having them be a part in writing them. A group of students can work with district staff to create a policy that is student-friendly and grade-specific that all students will understand.
Acceptable vs. Responsible
- Lay the foundation for digital citizenship and personal accountability
- Include input from students, teachers, administrators, school board members, and the community
- Include school-owned and personal devices
- Encourage high levels of access
- Value student and community voice
- Promote the responsible use of social media
- Are age-appropriate and easy for students to understand


Hi Abigail,
ReplyDeleteI agree with you about some of the language used in school's AUPs. I feel like they may be more of something that students just hand to their parents to sign without reading due to the language and length. I like your idea of student-friendly version and maybe even by grade level. For example, a first graders usage of technology and internet may look different than a fifth graders. Thanks for breaking down the difference between AUP and RUP!
Excellent suggestion about bringing students into the conversation. As outline in your post, there is a lot that goes into an agreement such as an Acceptable Use Policy so it makes sense to include the voice of the stakeholders that have to adhere to it.
ReplyDeleteAbigail,
ReplyDeleteI whole heartedly agree with you that these agreements are ones that students and parents make without much thought. Having conversations about what it is they are signing is important for them and the school. Students should be aware of all school policies and protocols so that they can make informed decisions. I know at my school we have difficulty with some technology usage and if educators and staff could be more transparent with students about the expectations, I think it would make a difference.